Recent advice suggested that we were not getting enough Vitamin D in our diets and it made us think? What other super foods are we not taking advantage of. Discover some of the unwavering benefits from obscure superfoods unknown to the mainstream. Despite the increasing popularity of superfoods there are still many unrevealed foods that can be taken advantage of.
‘Superfoods’ is a term that is being used more often. As the subjective expression is casually thrown around it takes much of the worth out of the meaning. It’s true- superfood is a term that’s rather idiosyncratic to the food industry that try to promote their products. Despite this, it is far more than just a marketing tool although there’s no real definition, we understand superfoods as powerful edibles that can drastically improve health and sometimes serve as multi-purpose commodities. Unravel some of the most formidable gems as we list the top five superfoods that you’ve probably never heard of before.
The low growing shrub derives from the Amazon and is popular for its strong vitamin C percentage. Although it contains numerous health benefits it is recognised for it’s vitamin C load as it has up to 50 times the amount an orange holds. There are many other advantages too-
- A variation of amino acids that help with muscle repair
- High in antioxidants
- Can be used as an antidepressant- it works well as it lowers the stress hormone and boost serotonin
- Strengthens immune system
This antioxidant powerhouse is one of the most potent superfoods on the planet and is often found growing across the globe. It is popular in parts of Europe, Russia and even in some places in Asia. It isn’t your usual mushroom and grows on the birch of a tree. It is hard and cannot be eaten like a soft mushroom you are used to, it must be boiled and drank as tea, added to smoothies or even bought as a powder.
- Has around 1000 times the amount of antioxidants berries have
- Boosts immune system
- Balances the body as a whole- slowing down overreacting systems and boosting under-performing systems.
- Beneficial to the nervous system
- Works as an anti-inflammatory
- Has shown cancer preventing properties
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar isn’t commonly associated with superfoods but there are many reasons that it deserves a place in the list. This vinegar often referred to as ACV possesses some quality features sure to boost any user’s health. The multi-purpose liquid is often overlooked. The first use of the powerful vinegar dates back to 5000 BC. What benefits does ACV hold?
- Aids digestion and is great to absorb first thing in the morning
- Helps skin problems
- Rumoured to help against obesity although little test have been carried out
- Soothes sore throats
- The amazing thing about ACV is the fact that it is a great anti-bacterial product that is useable in a bath, for soaking fruit and even cleaning our kitchen surface.
This cousin of Spirulina is another algae renowned for its compelling effects. This nutrient-dense algae can be found in the form of powder and bought from well-known health shops. It is easiest to consume when added to a smoothie, so use Boots or Holland & Barrett to pick out your favourite algae. It is also known for preventing hang-overs too, when taken before and after drinking alcohol.
- Protein rich with 16g per ounce
- Helps achieve weight-loss
- Prevents cancer
- Has a lot of chlorophyll meaning that those being treated with cancer could feel improvements in their health
- Has an abundance of vitamins including B vitamins
- This root is finally receiving the coverage it deserves as the powerful spice combats numerous illnesses and prevents most from occurring too. It has been tested recently and some research is ongoing as turmeric has been associated for unbelievable benefits for Alzheimer’s sufferers.
- Known to help arthritis sufferers without side effects
- Cholesterol management
How To Get These Superfoods Into Your Diet
These five superfoods are from various categories with algae’s, mushrooms, spices, vinegar but yet they all work equally as well. The list for each food is just too long to list, so discover more great advantages of these amazing foods and start boosting your immune system without any side effects. Take nature’s medicine and heal yourself from the inside out. How do you consume these products?
Camu-Camu, Chlorella, Chaga Mushrooms can all be bought in powder form- use reputable brands such as Naturya or Sevenhills as you purchase from Amazon with My Favourite Voucher Codes. Amazon have a huge variety of these products that can be bought for less and are ready to be used in smoothies. Apple Cider Vinegar is not popular for its taste, so it might be best to disguise it in a smoothie or you can dilute and shot it in the morning. Turmeric is available in supermarkets and can be bought as a powdered spice or as a root just like ginger. Find your healing turmeric with Tesco and start taking notice of your body’s pleas.
By Daniel Treasure, 25th July 2016