Foraging sounds like hard work but there’s one fruit that’s easy to pick at this time of year whether you live in city or countryside – the humble blackberry. And with the availability of great value Tesco, Sainsburys and Ocado voucher codes they need not linger in the freezer for too long. Put your picks to good use with this recipe for blackberry and apple crumble and use don’t forget to use those supermarket voucher codes and the like to stock up on the rest of the ingredients…
What you will need…
For the topping:
150g plain flour
70g porridge oats
60g brown sugar
125g unsalted butter
Half teaspoon salt
For the filling:
2 large cooking apples – peeled, cored and cut into chunks
60g brown sugar
Juice from 1 lemon
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
You can use our current Tesco promo codes if you haven’t yet experienced the convenience of having your groceries delivered directly to your door. Take advantage of Tesco voucher codes by getting £15 off your first online order when you spend £60 or more and while you’re there take a look at other Tesco discount codes that can save you money with limited special offers.
How to cook…
1) Put the flour, oats, sugar and salt in a large bowl and using your fingertips, rub in the butter (make sure this is at room temperature). Continue until you have a crumb consistency, leaving a few larger chunks if you prefer.
2) Put the apple chunks in the bottom of a baking dish and sprinkle the lemon juice on top. Mix in the blackberries.
3) Combine the remaining sugar and cinnamon then spoon over the fruit, making sure all the pieces are covered.
4) Top the fruit with the crumble topping and bake in the oven at 190 degrees centigrade for approximately 40 minutes, or until the top is brown.
5) Serve with cream, ice cream or custard.
Don’t worry if you’ve already used Tesco discount codes to save money on your online shopping - we’ve got Sainsburys and Ocado voucher codes that you can enjoy too. With our Sainsburys voucher codes you can use the same offer – get £15 off your first shop when you spend £60 or more, or Ocado voucher codes might be more suited if you don’t want to spend as much on your initial shop – just use Ocado voucher codes to get £10 off when you spend £50 or more.
Making a blackberry and apple crumble is the perfect way to celebrate the onset of the autumn and there’s nothing wrong with foraging as much of those ingredients yourself as you can. But for all the other essentials, let our Tesco and Sainsburys promotional codes help you out with the cost.
By Anna Scott, 28th August 2014