You may have seen the hashtag #nationallefthandersday circulating recently and that’s because August 13th will be a day that celebrates this minority.
Only one in ten people prefer to use their left hand, it’s a mere 10% of the world who favour their left. Times have changed and those lefties are now accepted into society, as funny as it is, it’s true! Decades ago children writing or playing sports with their left hand would often be retrained. This is bizarre because some of the greats were left handed and often shared similar qualities.
Obviously there are lefthanded celebrities out there and they probably make up 10% of them but here are some of the famous names that are known for being part of the small percentage.
Leonardo Da Vinci
The impressive list goes on and continues to boast some of the most legendary icons.
· Many observations have suggested that there are early signs that show a person may be left-handed. Babies turn their head to the left when left handed and to the right when right handed, there’s no scientific reasoning behind it just yet but this is a mere observation and could be coincidental.
· Many artistic representations of the devil show him as left handed. This could be one of the reasons that many nuns would force their children to write with their right hand?
· Research has proven that lefthanded people have a higher IQ after St Lawrence University conducted tests.
· Lefties are known for being able to multitask (even men). Research shows that the switch between the use of the left and right side of the brain is an easier transition for those that predominantly use their lefthand.
· Lefthanders have a huge advantage in many sports, two footballers of the same ability would probably choose to be left-footed if they had the choice. As it’s a rare thing and works in their favour when being scouted and this happens throughout sports. Boxers stand in the opposite stance and this confuses some of their opponents.
Despite the aforementioned advantages of having the rare benefit of being lefthanded, there are many downfalls too. Often people describe themselves as a leftie living in a right-handed world. Their daily struggles involves how desks are positioned, scissors, sports equipment and more. There are numerous problems for them and it’s not always a simple thing to solve. But there are many retailers that now cater for all. So if you’re a golf enthusiast or tennis player, be sure to get specific items. You may even want some scissors that work for you. You can do that right here without paying over the odds are making special searches on the highstreet. Use American Golf discount codes and be sure to alter the filter to ‘left hand’. You can also get your tennis gear and other sports equipment with some specialist items available with Sports Direct promo codes. Use Amazon promotional codes to find a bundle of left-handed gear including golf gloves, scissors and more.
By Daniel Treasure, 11th August.