With the chances of a white Christmas ever increasing following the icy blasts we had over the weekend, it’s probably best to be prepared to be snowed in. Although people find the white landscape romantic, for the rest of us being trapped inside with family can lead to all-out-war. Current predictions for a white Christmas are a 25 percent chance in the South, and a 50 percent chance in the North and Scotland. So we’re going to err on the side of caution for this one. Keep yourself and everyone occupied with our list of things to do when baby, it’s cold outside.
Our Top 10 Budget Ideas for Your Snow Day
1.Spa day: Have your very own spa day by creating treatments from kitchen ingredients (please follow a recipe though don’t just mix random things you find for goodness sake) and have a jolly good pampering. Whether it’s a mani/pedi, a long soak or an avocado face mask, make the most of your me time.
2. Happy hour: Open your very own cocktail bar at home, it’s past the yardarm somewhere. Follow recipes and learn new drinks in your very own masterclass or even better hold a competition to see who can make the best cocktail, the winner gets theirs served on Christmas Day.
3. Create a fort: I don’t care if you’re 4 or 40, who doesn't love creating a blanket fort. Make it competitive or just create a cosy nook for the whole family to enjoy. A great place to have sleepovers or to read books.
4. Do some shopping: Get online and do some last minute shopping. Look for items for your Spring wardrobe, start planning the redecoration of your home or book that holiday for 2018, with all the sales going on you’d be a bit daft not to. Don’t forget to find the very best bargains at My Favourite Voucher Codes
5. Learn a new skill: Ok maybe not fire juggling or anything too dangerous but why not use the time to immerse yourself in a new language, learn piano or become an ethical hacker, you know, easy stuff. Ok, ok maybe just how to knit a sweater for the cat.
6. Enjoy summer for the day: Why not turn the heating up, blast out some Bob Marley, enjoy some fruit punch and walk around the house in a Hawaiian shirt and flip flops. Squeezing one last summer's day out of 2017 is totally possible with a little bit of imagination and possibly a huge heating bill. You could even break out your snorkel and go for a swim in the tub.
7. Make soup: The mortal enemy of the cold day, soup is always a good idea when snow begins to fall and the choices are endless. Roasted cauliflower, tomato with grilled cheese, butternut squash, chicken broth, nothing is more comforting or reassuring that a piping hot bowl of homemade soup. The whole family will thank you.
8. Write a letter: When was the last time you wrote a letter? Probably a very long time ago. Imagine a loved one's face when they face when they find a rather touching handwritten letter amongst all the unwanted pizza menus and bills. Perhaps you have a friend you haven’t seen in a very long time, a handwritten letter is a powerful and genuinely warm act and wins hands down over a rushed email any day. Make someone's day a little bit brighter and get in touch.
9. Movie marathon: Bring out some of your favourite movies, perhaps everyone gets to pick a movie they love dearly and share it with everyone else. Put together a snack bar, pop some corn, gather blankets, cushions and everything you need to get comfy and cosy, pour the drinks, alcoholic or non-alcoholic, block out the lights and start your own movie marathon in the comfort of your own home. Fun for the whole family.
10. Do a work out: Yeah, no, me neither.
Written by Stephanie Hall 12th December 2017