Get to Know Tiny Tickers Charity
Tiny Tickers is a small charity working across the UK helping to improve the chances of babies born with a serious heart condition. They believe every baby deserves the best chance of survival and quality of life.
Did you know that one in every 125 babies is born with a heart problem but fewer than half of those are spotted during pregnancy? Unfortunately, over 1,000 newborns leave hospitals in the UK each year with no one realising they have a potentially life-threatening heart condition. Babies are dramatically impacted by undetected heart defects resulting in them falling into the early stages of heart failure thus affecting on their long-term quality of life. Some of these babies will pass away before anybody finds out that they have a poorly heart, or before getting the surgery that would save them.
What Do Tiny Tickers Do?
- They fund vital life-saving equipment - by placing pulse oximetry machines in maternity wards they aim to improve detection at birth.
- They are the sole provider of hospital-based fetal cardiac screening training for sonographers throughout the UK, which enhances the confidence and skills sonographers need to detect heart defects during routine pregnancy scans.
- They make sure the voice of parents and the needs of families are heard by those setting standards in CHD services.
- They raise awareness of the 5 potential signs of undiagnosed CHD by informing and empowering parents to be about what to expect at their 20 week scan.
- They also support familieswho are faced with a diagnosis of CHD and the long term complications that can bring.
This organisation is the only UK charity working towards the improvement of prenatal detection rates of heart conditions in babies, and their work has a direct and significant impact on national detection rates of heart defects. Their work delivers real life-saving results to heart babies, their families, and the health professionals that look after them. They have continued to ensure the voice of parents is heard, and their views valued, by those who set standards in CHD services. And they continue to be a source of comfort and support to all those heart families facing a new diagnosis or an uncertain future. They are a small charity, but with the help of all of their supporters and the heart community, they can continue to deliver a huge impact for all tiny hearts. With your support, they could save the lives of many more babies.
Find out more at www.tinytickers.org