Endometriosis UK is a small, volunteer-led charity, championing the rights and needs of those with endometriosis; a disease which affects 1 in 10 women and those assigned female at birth, which equates to 1.5 million people across the UK.
What is Endometriosis?
Endometriosis is the name given to a disease where cells similar to the ones in the womb (uterus) lining are found elsewhere in the body. Each month these cells react in the same way to those lining the womb, building up and then breaking down and bleeding.
Unlike the cells in the womb that leave the body as a period, this blood has no way to escape. This can result in pain, inflammation, and the formation of scar tissue. For the 1.5million living with endometriosis, common symptoms include:
- Chronic pelvic pain
- Painful periods
- Bowel and bladder problems
- Difficulty getting pregnant
What Do Endometriosis UK Do?
The charity provides free, reliable information about endometriosis and emotional support through their helpline, virtual and in-person support groups, on their website, and via print and downloadable materials. As the lead charity for those with endometriosis in the UK, they raise awareness of the disease with employers, healthcare professionals, the public, governments and media. They also support research into the disease and work to ensure the voices of those with endometriosis are heard.
The charity is committed to supporting and empowering those with endometriosis, breaking down barriers to the access of information, treatment or support wherever the disease impacts on lives, and acting to inform, empower and advocate for all affected by the disease.
Funds raised for Endometriosis UK will help to:
- Keep their vital local support groups running.
- Train helpline volunteers to ensure they can be there for those with endometriosis.
- Support people through the restrictions of the Covid-19 pandemic with online support services such as their digital forum, vital support groups and webinars.
- Provide high quality and reliable information about endometriosis and treatment options available.
- Continue raising awareness of this painful and debilitating condition.
How You Can Get Involved
For the month of April, we’re delighted to be supporting Endometriosis UK in our charity poll. You can help them to win 20% of this month’s profits by casting your vote for them today. To find out more about their work, or to make a donation, visit their website: https://www.endometriosis-uk.org/.