LUPUS UK is the national registered charity for people affected by lupus and those seeking a diagnosis. The charity’s mission is to empower people affected by lupus so their voices are heard and their condition is diagnosed and effectively managed.
What Do LUPUS UK Do?
Lupus is a complicated illness with a wide range of potential manifestations. We provide essential high quality information about the disease for patients, carers, employers and medical professionals and help to bring people affected by lupus together for support.
We provide grants for research into the causes and treatments of lupus and we’re also the only charity that funds Specialist Lupus Nurses in hospitals around the UK. Specialist Lupus Nurses offer an invaluable service to lupus patients; they are an experienced and knowledgeable member of their healthcare team who can offer support between appointments with their rheumatology consultant.
Lupus is an Uncommon Disease Which is Often Isolating for a Number of Reasons:
- Many people with lupus do not know someone else with the disease when they are first diagnosed.
- Awareness of the disease is very low in the public and even the medical profession.
- In many cases it is an ‘invisible disease’ (presenting with no/few visible symptoms).
- The disease itself can often have a significant impact on a person’s mobility and energy levels, regularly cutting them off from friends and family.
LUPUS UK Offers Support and Helps to Empower People Affected by Lupus in a Variety of Ways:
- We bring people affected by lupus together through regional support group meetings, social media/forums and helplines.
- We assist people in becoming better informed about lupus so that they can be more involved in their treatment and management plan.
- We provide guides to help people with lupus in employment or claiming disability benefits.
- We help signpost those with lupus or approaching a diagnosis towards the best available care from experienced specialists. Our LUPUS UK Centres of Excellence scheme helps to highlight hospitals that provide and maintain a high-quality service.
We Campaign to Raise Awareness of Lupus Among the Public to:
- Improve understanding for those affected by the condition, helping to reduce the stigma that is often attached.
- Reduce the current delay many experience in getting diagnosed.
- Help identify cases of lupus in the community that may currently be undiagnosed or misdiagnosed.
We previously supported LUPUS UK in our charity poll for October 2018, where they came in first place winning a donation of £151.97. We're delighted to welcome them back for our charity poll for February 2021, giving them another chance to win 20% of this month's profits, and you can support them today by casting your vote. To learn more about lupus and LUPUS UK, you can visit their website at www.lupusuk.org.uk