If you haven’t heard, it’s National Cherry Day on 16th July 2014.
Today we’re going to bring you voucher codes from Waitrose
, and Hello Fresh to cut the cost your groceries.To celebrate and help raise awareness for the day, we are running a series of blogs with recipes using cherries.Around 95% of all the cherries in the UK are imported, but if everyone used British cherries in their cooking, our orchards would be back in business.
Today, we’re going savoury with roast duck and a cherry sauce, but if you haven’t seen our cherry pie recipe, check out our last blog
Roast duck & cherry sauce
This recipe isn’t very complicated, but it makes the perfect dinner party meal, as it will definitely impress.
To serve four people, you’ll need:
• 4 duck breasts
• Salt & pepper
• Olive oil
• 1 orange, zested, juiced
• 1 tsp ground ginger
• 1 tbsp soy sauce
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• 60ml port
• 410g pitted cherries
• 1 tbsp cornflour
These ingredients should amount to more than £15 or £20, but of course, it depends where you shop. To help ease the burden, we have got free delivery with Hello Fresh voucher codes, £20 off when you spend £100 with Waitrose voucher codes
, and loads of great deals with Asda voucher codes
Once you’ve done all the shopping, it’s time to start the preparation
1. Score the skin on the duck with a sharp knife, season well, and heat a frying pan with olive oil.
2. Place the duck in skin side down until golden, and then place into a hot oven for between four and 10 minutes (depending on how you like your duck cooked).
3. To make the cherry sauce put the orange juice, zest, ginger, soy sauce, lemon juice, port and cherries into a saucepan.
4. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for five minutes.
5. Combine a little water with cornflour to make a paste, and stir into sauce.
6. Cook sauce until it thickens.